Free Iraqi

I was not living before the 9th of April and now I am, so let me speak!

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

A bridge of love.

I was watching al Arabiya yesterday and they showed a report about the American families that came with supplies they gathered to help civilians of Fallujah. It was very refreshing and heart warming even for guys like me who have firm belief in the American people's good will. To see families who had their son's, daughters and beloved ones killed in 9/11 and even in Iraq cross all this distance and take all this risk to help Iraqis left me speechless.One of my friends came to visit me today and he mentioned this to me too. This guy is what one can call "average Iraqi" he was happy to see Americans here in the beginning but gradually his feelings changed to the opposite. I assume that the main reason to such change is the difficult situation and the way it's conducted through the media, as most Iraqis had the false impression before the war that America was going to rebuild Iraq on her own and that all they need to do is go on with their lives. The former Iraqi resistant groups abroad hold a share of the responsibility for such a belief and the American administration did not do much to correct this misunderstanding in the beginning of the war. Also the return of the Ba'athists and their destructive efforts in their unholy alliance with the Islamic militants played an important role. American troops started to act more cautiously and aggressively as a result of the attacks and the good and promising contact that was established soon after the war between Iraqis and Americans started to shake until it became almost impossible for an Iraqi to talk to an American, and vise versa.There's a lot of distrust and fear among Iraqis and Americans in Iraq (this holds true only in the centre of Iraq, as the situation in the north and south is much better than here) and what these families have done come in a very critical stage and bares a great significance and I just wish it gets more exposure than what it's getting now. I wish you could see the look on my friend's face as he was telling me about how surprised and impressed with the efforts of these great people. These guys have built a strong bridge of compassion and love even though they are the ones who paid the most through this struggle, and I hope there will be more bridges from both sides to help restore the trust and love that means so much for the future of the whole world. God bless you and God bless your beloved ones' souls.